Seeking Hair Restoration Surgery? Be sure that a properly trained licensed physician* is responsible for your treatment.
The International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) is concerned about the growing risk to patients of unlicensed technicians performing substantial aspects of hair restoration surgery. The use of unlicensed technicians to perform aspects of hair restoration surgery, which should only be performed by a properly trained and licensed physician*, places patients at risk of: (i) misdiagnosis; (ii) failure to diagnose hair disorders and related systemic diseases; and (iii) performance of unnecessary or ill advised surgery all of which jeopardizes patient safety and outcomes. There may also be a risk that unlicensed technicians may not be covered by malpractice insurance.
The ISHRS believes the following aspects of hair restoration surgery should only be performed by a licensed physician*:
- Preoperative diagnostic evaluation and consultation
- Surgery planning
- Surgery execution including:
- Donor hair harvesting
- Hairline design
- Recipient site creation
- Management of other patient medical issues and possible adverse reactions
- Post-operative care
To help insure patients have information needed to make informed decisions about who performs their hair restoration surgery, the ISHRS urges potential patients to ask the following questions as well as questions regarding costs, risks, and short and long-term benefits and planning:
Patients Should Ask These Questions:
- Who will evaluate my hair loss and recommend a course of treatment?Â What is their education, training, licensure, and experience in treating hair loss?
- Who will be involved in performing my surgery, what role will they play, and what is their education, training, licensure, and experience performing hair restoration surgery?
- Will anyone not licensed by the state be making incisions or harvesting grafts during my surgery?Â If so, please identify this person, explain their specific role and why they are legally permitted to perform it.
- Is everyone involved in my surgery covered by malpractice insurance?
International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery â€“ 26th World Congress
November 23, 2016
ISHRS 26th World CongressOctober 10-14, 2018Hollywood, California The World Congress of the ISHRS is the premier meeting in the field of Hair Restoration Surgery….Read More
The Only 4 Things That Can Actually Prevent Hair Loss
March 18, 2016
Source: Business Insider By Dennis Green Thereâ€™s a lot of noise out there when it comes to preventative measures for hair loss. Some products…Read More